When a company innovates and the public receives the technology well, It’s only a matter of time before other companies duplicate or respond to the innovation with their own solutions or versions of that technology. That means with all the new fun stuff Samsung is doing, we can expect responses from competing Android manufacturers, Apple and Microsoft.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
-Charles Caleb Colton
What I’m saying is that you and I, Mr. Designer, need to start thinking about how we’re going to implement this tech into our next apps. We really need to utilize input features like tilting, eye tracking, wrist gestures and finger hovering- It’s like a new age of mobile interaction design is upon us! Hot damn I’m excited!
Here’s the skinny on what the new Galaxy brings us:
- Larger screen (1080p), Thinner (but similar) body *yawn*
- 13 megapixel rear camera, backed by many of Samsung’s Galaxy Camera features.
- An IR-blaster built into the phone allows it to replace your television’s remote control.
- Smart Scroll feature allows you to scroll through websites by tilting your phone.
- If you’re watching a movie and put your phone down to grab a snack, video play will stop until you return and look at the screen again.
- A Smart Pause feature lets you control the screen with your eyes. (LG has a similar feature now)
- Group Play lets you share music, photos and games with the people around you. The feature can also be used to play music together as a group, turning your friend’s phone’s speakers into a mobile surround sound system.
- Air View features let you hover your fingers over an email, S Planner, or image gallery to view a larger preview of content before selecting it.
- Air Gesture feature allows you to change a song, scroll through a web page, or answer a call by just waving your hand.
Ignore the ignorance
While doing research on the S4′s new features, I’ve come across an insane amount of thoughtless opinions that simply have no substance- but still rank high in Google search. Apple fan, Windows mobile fan, Android fan, Ubuntu fan- let’s agree that the industry as a whole is evolving at an awesome rate- and we couldn’t be happier.
Cyrus Sanati, You have no idea what you’re talking about. Next time you decide to write an article on a flagship product release, at least read the feature list.
— Yuriy Zaremba (@zyuriy) March 15, 2013